Minibus Insurance FAQ

Do I really need minibus insurance?

Yes. If you own a minibus then you need to get the correct cover in order to drive it legally. At the very minimum you need to get third party only insurance to be able to drive your minibus on UK roads.

Some people wonder if they can cover their minibus with a regular car insurance policy but this is not the case. Because minibuses are large vehicles and they’re often used for profit, the risks involved are different and therefore a special type of cover is required.

What are the best ways to save money?

Some of the best ways to save money on minibus insurance include –

  • Making your vehicle secure
  • Having somewhere safe to park your minibus
  • Getting quotes from multiple insurance providers
  • Limited your cover options
  • Increasing your excess
  • Limiting named drivers

What types of cover are available?

Some common types of minibus cover are –

  • Third party
  • Third party, fire and theft
  • Fully comprehensive
  • Breakdown assistance
  • Liability claims

Are there discounts for charity minibus drivers?

Yes. Providing you have the right paperwork to prove that your minibus is used for charitable purposes, you will be able to get a special discounted type of charity minibus insurance.

Can I get cover for driving abroad?

Yes. You can get European cover to cover your minibus if you plan to take it across the continent.

Can I add more than one person to a policy?

If you need to add more than one drive to a policy then this is certainly possible. However it’s worth pointing out that more named drivers will result in a higher cost for the policy.

How can I pay for minibus insurance?

Most people choose to pay for minibus insurance on a monthly basis via direct debit. However it is possible to pay for your policy upfront annually. You might wonder why you’d do this but it’s an excellent way to make a saving on the total cost of the policy.

Can I get cover for a minibus taxi?

Yes. The insurers we work with offer taxi minibus insurance policies for both public and private hire vehicles. You can get cover for road risks as well as things like liability claims, breakdowns, windscreen repair etc. Public hire vehicles are typically more expensive to insure than private hire since the risks are greater.

Will minibus insurance be expensive if I’m a new minibus owner?

If you don’t have any no claims history as a minibus driver then it’s true that you’ll pay more than somebody who does. However you should still be able to get a policy at an affordable rate, particularly if you’re over 25, have a secure vehicle and have no convictions.

How is minibus insurance different to car insurance?

Minibus insurance isn’t particularly different to car insurance although you do need to get a special policy if you’re a minibus driver depending on how you use your vehicle. For example, if your minibus is for personal use only then you can get a pleasure use minibus insurance policy. If you use it for work then you’ll need to get additional cover to protect yourself.

What is the minimum level of cover I need to get?

The minimum cover you need to get in order to make your minibus road legal is third party only. This provides protection for other road users if you’re involved in an accident that you’re to blame for.