Having a motorhome is about a way of life as much as it is about the vehicle. There is nothing more enjoyable than being able to take all the home comforts with you, whether you’re using your campervan for a seaside base while you’re sailing on the weekends or about to embark on a European road trip.
With only a few clicks, we can get you a quote from a panel of specialist motorhome insurance providers. Each one can offer you a tailored quote for your vehicle.
These specialist insurers will provide you with quotes which can include:
- Generous Limited Mileage Discounts
- European Use
- Club Members Discount
- Camping Equipment & Personal Effects Cover
- UK & European Breakdown Cover
- Legal Protection Cover
- Comprehensive, Third Party Fire & Theft & Third Party Only Cover
Other benefits too, such as:
- Comparable Quotes
- Instant Policy Documentation
- Flexible Monthly Payment Options
If you treasure your motorhome, make sure it’s fully insured today. Simply click the button below and quickly get a quote.
Understanding Motorhome Insurance
Owning a motorhome can be a liberating experience; it’s much like when you own your first car and the world suddenly becomes your oyster. In your motorhome, you can travel wherever you want – but without the right motorhome insurance for it, you won’t be going anywhere!
Like any specialist type of vehicle, motorhomes have their own particular type of insurance policy. These are very different from your standard private car policies, because motorhomes are anything but standard. The unique nature of a motorhome requires unique insurance, and we’re here to help you understand it all.
Firstly, you must ask yourself:
Do I need motorhome insurance?
If you own any of the following motorhome vehicle types, then the answer is most definitely yes:
- American RV
- Camper Vans
- Van Conversion
Each of these professionally built motorhomes could be covered by insurance providers under a motorhome policy. If they are self-built though, then an insurer might not be able to cover them. For these types of vehicles, you would need self-build motorhome insurance.
There are other types of motorhome insurance too, such as:
Some insurers even offer specialist American RV policies, which are more bespoke then a motorhome insurance policy. Check with your provider if this is something they can offer you.
Once you know that motorhome insurance is something that you’ll need, it’s then time to understand the types of cover available to you.
What types of motorhome insurance are there?
Much like any motor insurance, there are different levels of motorhome cover that you can choose from:
- Third Party Only – Third party only (TPO) is the very minimum level of insurance cover required by law. This is the most basic of insurance, as it only protects other road users in the event of a collision that you have caused. There is no cover for any accidental damage to your motorhome, and there are no additional benefits with TPO cover.
- Third Party, Fire & Theft – A step up from TPO cover, third party, fire and theft (TPFT) will cover you if your motorhome is stolen or if it is damaged accidentally. So, if your motorhome is damaged by fire, or as a result of a theft, you’ll be covered under a TPFT policy.
- Comprehensive – With fully comprehensive insurance, your motorhome will be covered for all types of collisions; even those that you’re responsible for. Comprehensive insurance can also provide other benefits, such as: windscreen cover, personal effects cover and medical costs.
- European Cover – Many motorhome drivers love to take their vehicle abroad. If you’re one of them, then European cover is absolutely essential. Motorhome insurance can include cover in Europe as part of the policy, but this might only be basic cover. For fully comprehensive cover abroad, you should check with your provider.
- Breakdown Cover – You can also include breakdown assistance on a motorhome insurance policy for an additional cost.
A green card is needed for proof of insurance in some European countries. Check with your insurer before travelling and they will send you one in the post.
Unique elements of motorhome insurance
Motorhomes are specialist vehicles and because of this, motorhome insurance is very specialist too. There are unique benefits and exclusions that could apply to your motorhome policy. These can include:
- Equipment Cover – It’s very possible you might be travelling with various ‘non-fixed’ items in your motorhome; televisions or camping and kitchen equipment for example. Some insurers will offer you the benefit of covering all this equipment under your motorhome insurance policy.
- Audio Equipment Cover- In addition to equipment cover, you can also get cover for ‘fixed’ items in your motorhome (any audio, visual or navigation equipment).
- Contents Cover – As your motorhome is your on-the-road home, you might want to consider insuring contents in the vehicle – things like mobile phones or laptops. But it’s worth remembering that these items may already be covered on your other insurance policies, such as home or travel insurance. Check before you purchase cover, as there’s no need to take out insurance twice!
- Motorhome Exclusions – These may vary from insurer to insurer, but there are some common exclusions you’ll find. For example, an insurer is unlikely to cover your motorhome if you’re using it as a permanent place of residence. A motorhome insurance policy is not a home insurance policy!
- Motorhome Club Memberships – There are plenty of motorhome enthusiast clubs out there and joining them could prove beneficial when taking out insurance. Some insurers will offer you discounts if you have a membership to such clubs.
How to save money on your motorhome insurance
There’s always ways to cut costs on your motorhome insurance. Here are some tips on how you could potentially save money:
- Shopping Around – It might be easy to stay with one insurer at renewal, but it might not be cheaper. It’s always worth your while to find comparable quotes online and see if other insurers can offer you better deals.
- Security – Of course you’ll be keeping your motorhome secure, just like you would your own house. And insurers recogonise this, as some providers will offer discounts for well-secured motorhomes and if you’re using particular security devices.
- No Claims Bonus – If your insurer allows you to build NCB whilst driving a motorhome, then this is great news. Because if you’re a safe driver, you could be rewarded with discounts for your claim-free history.
- Pay Annually, Not Monthly – If it’s possible for you to do so, try paying for your policy premium up-front. Paying monthly for your motorhome insurance could be more costly with direct debit charges.
Always keep all the windows closed and any keys out of sight in your motorhome. If you treat it as if you would your own home, you can avert potential thefts.
Finding your motorhome insurance quote
Rather than phoning around to get motorhome insurance quotes, why not get them online today? Simply click the button below to get quotes from a panel of insurance experts.
Your home-on-wheels is just waiting to be insured in only a few clicks…