Getting your horsebox is essential. Not only is it necessary to be able to drive legally, it will also protect it from theft, vandalism and breakdowns. Unlike horse trailers, which can be driven legally with a car insurance policy, horseboxes need to have their own policy in place since they’re subject to the same laws as any other vehicle. This means that cover must be in place both for your own protection and other road users.
The good news is, finding Horsebox Insurance online is easier than ever. You can get quotes quickly and easily – taking all the stress out of getting a policy, while potentially saving you a great deal of money.
- Horsebox Insurance for vans or lorries from one to six + stalls
- Private Car NCB acceptable
- Protected No Claims Bonus available
- Discounts for limited mileage
- Discounts for security / immobilisers
- Breakdown assistance and horse recovery
- European use
- Cover while at competitions
- Instant Horsebox Insurance documents
A guide to Horsebox Insurance
What type of horsebox cover is available?
The main types of cover you can get with a Horsebox Insurance policy are:
- Comprehensive – Comprehensive insurance will provide the best level of cover for your horsebox. As well as providing cover for third party vehicles, your own vehicle will also be covered, even if you’re involved in an accident that you’re liable for
- Third Party – Third Party cover enables you to drive your vehicle legally, but only provides cover for third parties when you’re involved in an accident that’s your fault. Although it’s the cheapest type of cover available, it doesn’t provide a lot of protection so you should consider a comprehensive policy if you’re able to afford it
- Third Party, Fire & Theft – Fire and theft are always important risks to get cover for. Theft in particular is a big risk for horsebox owners since these types of vehicles are very valuable. Getting third party, fire and theft will cover you for these risks
Additional types of horsebox insurance cover include:
- Accidental Damage – If your horsebox were to be accidentally damaged, either by yourself or somebody else, then you’d be able to have it repaired as part of your policy. This is a great type of additional cover to get since horseboxes are often vulnerable to damage
- Vandalism – If your horsebox was vandalised, you would want to know when it will be repaired and back up and running. Getting vandalism cover in your policy will give you this peace of mind
- Public Liability – If a member of public were to be injured or killed as a result of wreckless driving on your part then you could find yourself facing a heavy liability claim. Getting public liability insurance will cover you against these risks. Sometimes legal fees are also included in this type of cover
- Replacement Trailer – If your horsebox is out of use for any reason – for example, when it’s being repaired – this cover will provide you with a replacement vehicle.
- Breakdown Assistance – Breakdown assistance is invaluable for any horsebox owner, whether you get it as part of your policy or through a third party provider. The last thing you want, is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no means of having your vehicle recovered
What are the benefits of getting your horsebox insured online?
There are some great benefits to looking online for a horsebox insurance policy. These include:
- Get multiple quotes easily
- Save time & money
- No hard sell
- Highly tailored policies
- Flexible payment methods
Types of horse trailer insurance
If you have car insurance then you might assume your horse trailer is covered too. However this is not the case. Unless your car insurance policy specifically states that your trailers are covered too, including horse trailers – then you’ll need to get separate cover.
Below are some of the main types of horse trailer insurance you can get –
- Theft and vandalism – If your trailer is stolen or vandalized, then you would be compensated for its full cost. You can get cover for repairs included too.
- New for old – For new trailers that are under 2 years old, you can get the ‘as new’ price back with this type of cover. For older trailers, the current market value at the time of the claim will be paid out.
- Trailer hire during claims – If you needed to get your trailer repaired, then you can get a new one to use during this time.
- Breakdown recovery – If you were to breakdown then you want to be sure that your trailer could be recovered and not just your car. This is why breakdown recovery is such a useful option for horse trailer owners.
Insurance Cover Available for all Manufacturers of Horseboxes and Horse Trailers
Get horsebox insurance quotes now
If you’d like to get Horsebox Insurance quotes in the easiest way possible then you’re in the right place. When you click the button below, you’ll be taken to the quote form. All you have to do is provide some necessary information about yourself, your vehicle and your desired level of cover. You’ll then have access to your quotes from the panel of specialist providers. All you have to do is compare them and pick the one that’s best for you. It’s that simple!
Horsebox Insurance FAQs
Is windscreen cover included under my horsebox insurance policy?
Is my horse covered whilst in transit under a horsebox policy?
Is my horsebox covered whilst driving abroad?
Is breakdown cover included under a horsebox insurance policy?
Am I covered to transport my friend’s horses under my horsebox insurance policy?
How can I save money on Horsebox Insurance?
- Increase Excess – By increasing the excess you would pay in the event of a claim you can significantly reduce the cost of your premium. While somewhat risky, it’s a very reliable way of saving money upfront. Discuss this with your insurance provider to find out exactly how much you could save
- Get a Limited Mileage Policy – If you only use your horsebox sparingly then you might consider a limited mileage policy. Limited mileage policies are typically much cheaper than a standard policy because of the reduced risk factor that comes from being on the road for less time
- Shop around – Getting multiple quotes is always important when looking for a good insurance policy at the best price. Quotes can vary significantly from one insurance provider to another, so you owe it to yourself to get as many quotes as possible
- Pay annually – One of the best ways to save money on horsebox insurance is by paying for your policy upfront. The amount of money you can save will vary from one insurance provider to the next but it should always be a significant saving