Wherever you’re planning to pitch up your catering van – from a country festival to a vibrant city street – you will need insurance.
Catering insurance to cover hot or cold food catering, including:
- Burger and hot dog van insurance
- Catering trailer insurance
- Ice cream van insurance
- Fish and chips van insurance
- Mobile shop insurance
- Jiffy van insurance
- Mobile catering insurance
Available cover for both mobile trailers and static catering includes:
- Catering liability insurance
- Public liability and employers liability
- Catering Trailer & Catering Vehicle Insurance
- Legal expenses
- Business interruption
Clean Green Compare can help you find the perfect policy. Click the green button to get quotes from specialist providers now.
Catering Van Insurance
You can cover your van for road accidents as well as other aspects of your business with a catering van insurance policy.
Catering Van Insurance FAQ
What is catering van insurance?
If you own a catering van then you need to get the right level of protection. A simple van insurance policy won’t cut it since it doesn’t cover you for the risks that come with working with the public, particularly where serving food is concerned. A good catering van insurance policy will cover you for risks such as liability claims and business interruption.
What can I get cover for?
You can get cover for all aspects of your business when you own a catering van. This means as well as getting cover for road accidents, you can also cover your stock and equipment as well as getting protection for liability claims from both the public and your employees.
How much will it cost?
The cost of a catering van insurance will depend on a few key factors. These are:
- The value of your van
- How secure the van is
- Where it’s kept when not in use
- The level of cover you get
Catering van insurance for your vehicle
- Third party only – Third party only insurance is the lowest level of cover you can get for your vehicle to make it road legal. It will pay out for other motorists if you’re involved in a collision that you’re to blame for.
- Third party, fire and theft – This is the same as third party insurance where accidents are concerned however you also are now covered for fire damage and theft of your vehicle.
- Fully comprehensive – A fully comprehensive policy will cover you van for all types of collisions, even those that you are liable for. It’s important to note that if you have any employees and would like them to be able to operate the vehicle then you’ll need to have them named on the policy.
- Breakdowns – Breakdown assistance is always a useful type of cover to have, particularly when you rely on your vehicle to make a living. Most insurance providers will give you the option to have breakdown cover included in your vehicle.
Catering van insurance liability cover
- Public liability insurance – Liability claims are always a risk when you work with the public, particularly when serving food and drink. There are many types of incidents that can lead to liability claims when you have a catering van. For example death or injury to a member of public due to a road accident. You can choose exactly how much public liability cover you want to have in included in your policy depending on the risk you feel is there.
- Employers’ liability insurance – If you have any employees, even if they’re only part-time, then you need to get employers’ liability insurance. This will pay out for any compensation claims that come from your employees.
- Legal expenses – If you decide that you want to fight a liability claim rather than paying out then the legal expenses can add up very quickly. That’s why it’s never a bad idea to have legal expenses included as part of your catering van insurance policy.
Additional catering van insurance options
- Stock insurance – If you want to protect your stock and equipment then you can also do this with a catering van policy. This is particularly useful for replacing expensive equipment that might break due to degradation or accidental damage.
- Business interruption – If you were unable to work for a period of time, whether it was due to a road accident or losing your licence, then you would continue to receive your business income for a period of time.
- Personal accidents – If you or an employee were to be injured whilst working then this type of cover would ensure that any medical costs are covered. You would also be compensated for any accidents that prevent you from working.
Getting quotes from a lot of different insurance providers is one of the best ways to save money on catering van insuance.
Tips for catering van owners
- Always park safely – It’s important that you always park in a safe place when you run a catering van business. You also ensure that you have permission to sell food wherever you set up. Following these two simple tips can help you to avoid unwanted incidents.
- Make sure you’re registered for selling food and drink – When you sell food and drink to the public you need to make sure that your business is registered properly with the local authorities. Failure to do this could land you in serious trouble and void your insurance.
- Make sure your van is well maintained – This doesn’t just apply to the vehicle itself but also your cooking equipment. If an employee were to be injured whilst working in your van due to faulty equipment then you could end up facing a liability claim, particularly if the injury was serious.
How to save money on catering van insurance
- Make your van secure – You should take any steps you can to make your van secure and deter potential thieves and vandals. It’s not a bad idea to use a tracking device so you could easily recover your vehicle if it was stolen.
- Pay upfront – Most business owners will pay for their policy monthly in order to spread the cost. This makes sense but if you can pay for your policy upfront on an annual basis then you’ll be offered a good discount by most insurance providers for doing this.
- Get a lot of quotes – Getting quotes from a lot of different insurance providers is always recommended when you want to save money on catering van insurance. It will enable you to easily compare the quotes you get and pick the one that’s the best value for money.
You can protect yourself from liability claims from employees by getting employers’ liability insurance.
Get catering van insurance quotes now
You can get tailored insurance quotes for your catering van from a panel of expert providers in just a matter of minutes. Click the green quote button below and once you’ve supplied the necessary information you can then review the quotes you’re provided.