How to transport your horse legally

Moving your horse from A to B isn’t as straightforward as you might think. If you’re getting ready to take your horse on the competition circuit this summer, make sure you have all the right documents.

Operator’s licence

If owning a horse is part of a commercial enterprise, you will be expected to have an operator’s licence, and the appropriate CPC certificate.
You do not need one if:

  • Your transporting your horse for recreation only
  • The owner/driver doesn’t earn a significant portion of their income from the transport
  • You don’t hire out your services to transport horses for other hobbyists

However, if transporting a horse is a business for you, you will need the right licence. The category of licence you need depends on the size and weight of your vehicle.
To find out which one you need, go to the Government website.

Driver’s licence

Of course, if you are driving any kind of vehicle – whether it’s a moped, car or horsebox – you will need to have the correct licence that entitles you to drive it.

If you passed your driving test on or after 1 January 1997, you can only drive Category B vehicles – those not exceeding 3,500kg – although you may tow a small garden trailer.

To tow anything other than a very light horse trailer, you will need a Category B+E on your licence. To get this you will need to pass an extra test.

Insurance documents

Whatever you transport your horse for – whether you’re an amateur competitor or a part-time breeder – you will need to have the correct horsebox or horse trailer insurance.

To save yourself time and get multiple quotes from specialist horsebox and horse trailer insurance providers, click the button below.

Similar Posts