Do you own a property that can be left unoccupied for 30 days or more on a regular basis? If so, you should consider taking out empty house insurance to protect your investment and its possessions. This type of insurance policy is a specialist one, which is designed to safeguard a property that is often left vacant for a sustained period of time.

Why is empty house insurance important?

There are many traditional home insurance policies on the market, which provide cover for property owners against things like fire, flood, vandalism and other damage. However, many of these house insurance policies might not provide cover for a home that is left empty for more than 30 continuous days. Conventional home insurance cover could become invalid, which means you may not be paid out if you try to make a claim.

Purchasing empty house insurance will make sure you are covered when your property is vacant for things such as:

  • Renovation
  • Redecoration
  • Marketed for sale

What kind of empty home insurance is available?

Specialist insurers could offer empty house insurance on a temporary basis, which is usually available from between 3 and 12 months. This allows people to buy the policy that will suit their needs the best. You could even purchase empty home insurance if your property is being renovated, but exclusions may occur if significant repairs, such as an extension or extensive building work will be taking place. When you are searching for empty home insurance online, it may be called:

  • Unoccupied property insurance
  • Empty house insurance
  • Empty property insurance
  • Unoccupied home insurance
  • Unoccupied house insurance

Do you need to include contents insurance on the policy?

When comparing the empty home insurance policies on offer, make sure you check that you can include contents cover on the policy. Many properties that are left vacant will contain contents, if for example it is a holiday home that is used infrequently, the property is awaiting probate or it is awaiting sale and you still have some possessions inside. It is important that you take out the correct level of contents insurance to protect all the items left in your empty property.

Many policies could also include property owner’s liability insurance, which protects the owner against any claims from a third party for damage to them as an individual or to their property.

This is one more thing that you can check when you are looking for empty home insurance by comparing what many specialist insurers can offer. By simply answering a few questions, you will receive quotes from many insurance companies tailored to your needs, so you can choose the right policy for you.