Thatched Property Insurance FAQs

What is thatched property insurance?

Thatched roof property insurance is a special type of cover that’s tailored specifically for thatched roof properties. Unlike regular homes, thatched roof properties cannot be covered by a simple home insurance policy since the unique rebuild costs need to be accounted for. There’s also the fact that many thatched properties are listed buildings, which is another thing insurance providers must consider. This is why thatched roof property insurance is often best sought out from specialist providers.

Is it more expensive to insure a thatched roof property?

Thatched roof properties are at a greater risk of fire so in general the cost of building and contents insurance will cost more. Rebuilding a thatched roof property also costs more compared to a regular home with a slate roof since thatching is a highly specialised skill that requires the right expertise and materials.

What are the best ways to save money on thatched property insurance?

There are a few ways to save money on thatched roof property insurance. The most obvious one being to get quotes from a lot of different insurance providers to avoid overpaying. In addition to getting quotes, it’s also a good idea to take any steps you can to reduce the risk of fire in your property. Getting a thorough electrical inspection as well as having the chimney regularly cleaned are both excellent ways to do this.

How much is a thatched insurance policy likely to cost?

It’s hard to give a simple answer to this question since the cost of a policy will depend on a few important factors, the main ones being the value of the property, where it’s located, whether or not it’s a listed property and the level of cover being taken out.

Is it possible to get contents covered in a thatched home?

Yes, any good thatched roof property insurance provider will be able to offer you contents cover as part of your policy.

Can you insure an unoccupied thatched property?

Yes, you can get unoccupied property insurance for a thatched roof property. The risks associated with an unoccupied property are something insurance providers need to take into account so if you’re going to be away from the property for more than 30 days, you’ll definitely need to get this type of cover.

Can I get insurance for a let thatched property?

If you have a thatched roof property that you own and let out to tenants, then you can get landlord insurance, which will enable you to get cover for risks such as loss of rent and damage to contents.

Does it matter what type of thatched roof my property has?

No. It doesn’t matter what materials your thatched roof is made from, whether it’s straw, water straw or reed – you’ll still be able to have it covered.

What if the thatched property is listed?

If your thatched roof property is listed, then this means you have an obligation to keep it in good condition and won’t be able to make changes to the structure without obtaining permission from your local council. This doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get cover for it however. Most good thatched roof property insurance providers will still be able to offer you cover at a reasonable rate.