Unoccupied Property Insurance


Residential or commercial property owners, find tailor made Empty Property Insurance quotes from the panel of specialist Vacant Buildings Insurance providers

  • Buildings and contents cover available
  • Cover for damage caused by water or subsidence
  • Protection against vandalism damage
  • Property owners liability cover
  • Non Standard Construction buildings & Ongoing Building Work
  • Commercial & residential properties acceptable
  • Instant insurance documents

Unoccupied Property Insurance Explained

If you own property, whether it’s your own home or property that you let you, it’s vital that you have the necessary cover in place if it’s going to be unoccupied for an extended period of time. For home owners, a typical home insurance policy will cover your home if it’s unoccupied for 30 days or less. However if you’re going to leave your home unoccupied for longer than this then you’ll need to get a special unoccupied property insurance policy.

Finding unoccupied property insurance online is now very quick and easy, with many insurance providers offering this type of cover. When you’re looking for unoccupied property insurance online it’s important to know what cover options you want as well as what period of time the house needs to be covered for.

Who Can Benefit from Unoccupied Property Insurance

There are many scenarios where unoccupied property insurance is required, such as –

  • The property is a holiday home that is only occupied for part of the year
  • Unoccupied buy to let property
  • The property is being renovated or extended
  • The property is waiting for a buyer

In any of these scenarios, there’s a good chance that you’ll need unoccupied property insurance, depending on the length of time the property is left unoccupied.

Why Unoccupied Property Insurance is Important

Many people underestimate the need for unoccupied property insurance or don’t realise that they need it at all. The truth is that unoccupied property is at much greater risk than if it were occupied. One of the main reasons for this is that it becomes a target for thieves, vandals and squatters. Many people take measures against this such as installing security cameras and security lights but this is certainly not a fool proof solution. The only way to truly know that you’re covered is to get a good policy in place which will give you full peace of mind.

Unoccupied Property Insurance FAQ’s

Is cover available if my empty property is for sale?

Yes however, there is often a minimum policy duration meaning if the sale completes within this period you may not be eligible for a full refund.

Do I have to turn off the gas, electricity and water?

There is no reason to turn off gas or electricity for insurance purposes unless insurers have stipulated. You will need to turn your mains water off if required as part of the policy terms and conditions, however, it is usually advisable to do this anyway.

Am I required to visit the property regularly?

Yes, the property should be inspected at the intervals stipulated by the insurance company which is usually at least weekly.

Would standard home insurance cover my empty property?

Most standard home insurance policies do not usually provide cover for unoccupied homes that have been left empty for 30 straight days.

Is cover available for a long term unoccupied property?

As long as your insurance provider is aware of this, the house can be covered even though its empty for a long period of time. However, you must ensure the terms and conditions are met such as visiting the house at least once a week

Get Quotes Quickly and Easily

Now that you know more about unoccupied property insurance and what it entails, you will probably want to go about getting quotes. Getting multiple quotes is one of the best ways to save money and the good news is that it’s now incredibly quick and easy to do this. By clicking the green button below and providing a bit of information about your insurance requirements, you will then have access to a range of tailored quotes from a panel of unoccupied property insurance specialists.