Protect your thatched property with specialist cover.
Clean Green Compare can help you find the right policy for your thatched property. Get quotes from specialist providers now by clicking the green button.
Cover can include:
- Thatch cover
- Contents cover
- Building insurance
- Accidental damage
Some of the main benefits of getting quotes online include:
- Easy to get quotes
- Instant documentation
- Save time and money
Click the green button to get quotes now.
Thatched Property Insurance
Getting quotes from many providers is one of the best ways to save money on thatched property insurance
Thatched Property Insurance FAQ
What is thatched property insurance?
Thatched property insurance is a special type of cover that people who own thatched roof homes need to take out in order to be fully protected. A thatched roof insurance policy will provide the added level of protection required for such a property.
Can’t I just get a regular home insurance policy?
No. The risks that come with owning a thatched roof property are greater than a regular home so most insurance providers will not provide cover for them. The rebuild costs associated with a thatched roof property are also greater since they require specialist skills. Therefore a dedicated policy is required.
What can I get cover for?
You can get cover for all risks associated with owning a thatched roof property including repair/rebuild costs, contents cover, liability claims and accidental damage. You can choose the level of cover you want depending on your budget and preferences.
How much will cover cost?
The cost of a thatched roof property will depend on a few key factors. One of the most important is the rebuild cost of your home. It’s a good idea to get your home professionally surveyed so you’re able to quote the rebuild cost to insurance providers and get the appropriate level of cover. Other factors that will affect cost include the area your property is located in and the level of cover you get.
Types of thatched property insurance
- Building insurance – Building insurance will cover your property for structural damage. Structural damage is often very costly to repair and is one of the most important types of cover for a thatched roof property.
- Thatch cover – Thatched roof property insurance of course includes cover for the roof itself too. If your roof were to be damaged, whether due to fire or some other reason, then you’ll need to have it rebuilt by a specialist. You’ll be covered for this with a thatched roof policy.
- Liability claims – You can also get cover for liability claims included in your policy. If for example a visitor or passer by were injured due to your property being unsafe and decided to sue you, you’d be covered for the compensation claim.
- Contents cover – Contents cover will protect the contents of your home.
- Accidental damage – Accidental damage will cover you for things like floods, storms and escape of water.
Risk factors with a thatched roof property
- Repair costs – One of the major risks that insurance providers take into account with a thatched roof property is the repair costs. Because thatched roofs aren’t as common as they once were, it can be difficult and costly to have them repaired or rebuilt. This is one of the major reasons why you cannot simply get a regular home insurance policy when you own a thatched roof property.
- Risk of fire – The perceived fire risk with a thatched roof property can be somewhat overstated. Many people assume that a thatched roof property is more likely to catch fire, which isn’t necessarily the case. However if a fire does start in a thatched property, it will spread much faster than in a regular home due to the thatching being more flammable than a standard roof.
- Maintenance – Maintenance is something you need to stay on top of when you own a thatched roof property. Insurers will want to know that the property is well maintained in order to offer you a policy. At the very least you’ll want to make sure your roof is re-ridged once every 10 years.
- Listed properties – A lot of thatched roof properties are listed, meaning they’re considered to be of historical or cultural importance. Owning a listed property comes with responsibility and you’ll be expected to maintain the building and keep it as close to its original state as possible. You’ll need to obtain permission for any changes you want to make to the exterior/structure of the property if you have a listed building.
Getting specialist cover is necessary when you own a thatched roof property due to the higher rebuild costs.
Saving money on thatched property insurance
- Get cover from a specialist provider – It’s always recommended that you get thatched property insurance from a specialist provider. Although some regular home insurance providers might agree to offer you a policy they won’t necessarily cover the rebuild costs for your roof, which is one of the major risks of owning a thatched property. Specialist providers will be better equipped to deal with the unique risks that thatched property owners face.
- Make sure your property is well maintained – Another thing you can do to cut down the cost of your insurance is to make sure your property is well maintained. Having your roof re-ridged is something you’ll need to at least once every 10 years. In addition to this you should also make sure that your chimney is regularly inspected as chimney problems can often be the cause of fires in thatched roof properties.
- Pay for the policy annually – Although paying monthly is more common since you can spread the cost, if you’re able to pay for your policy on an annual basis then you’ll be offered a good discount on the cost by most insurance providers.
- Get a lot of quotes – Getting quotes from a lot of different insurance providers is very important when you’re looking for thatched property insurance. The prices you’re quoted can vary quite a lot so it’s definitely important to shop around if you want to get the best deal possible. It’s a good idea to know exactly what the rebuild costs of your home are when contacting insurers to make sure you get enough cover.
You can edit your policy easily so it includes exactly the level of cover that you want.
Get thatched property insurance quotes now
If you’d like to get quotes from specialist providers now then simply click the green button below. Once you’ve provided the required information you’ll then have access to your quotes, which you can compare and choose the best one.