Protect your property with a holiday home insurance policy
Clean Green Compare can help you find the right policy for your holiday home. Click the green button to get quotes now.
Available cover includes:
- Building insurance
- Contents cover
- Accidental damage
- Loss of rent
- Public liability insurance
Reasons to get cover online include:
- Quick & easy quotes
- Expert cover
- Instant documentation
Click below to get quotes now
Holiday Home Insurance
You can tailor a holiday home insurance policy so it includes the exact level of cover that you require.
Holiday Home Insurance FAQ
What is holiday home insurance?
Holiday home insurance is a type of cover that’s designed to protect any holiday home you have, whether it’s in this country or overseas. It differs from a regular home insurance policy since the risks that come with owning a holiday home are different to those where the property is regularly occupied.
Do I need holiday home insurance?
If you own a holiday home then you’ll certainly want to protect it with a good insurance policy. The risks are simply too great to leave things to chance.
What will I be covered for?
A good holiday home insurance policy will usually include building insurance and contents cover as standard. In addition to this you can also get optional cover such as loss of rent, accidental damage and cover for public liability claims.
How much will cover cost?
The cost of a holiday home insurance policy will depend on a few key factors. The main ones being:
- The value of the property
- Where the property is located
- How long the property is usually unoccupied for
- The level of cover you get
- How you choose to pay
Types of holiday home insurance
- Building insurance – Building insurance is an extremely important type of cover to have and will be included in any good holiday home insurance policy as standard. Building insurance will cover your property for any structural damage as well as rebuild costs. The rebuild costs can be hard to calculate for certain types of property, especially when they’re located abroad, so it’s a good idea to get a policy with unlimited cover.
- Contents cover – In addition to protecting your property you can also protect its contents for theft and accidental damage. This is a good type of cover to have if your property contains a lot of expensive contents.
- Accidental damage – If you let your property out when you’re not there then it’s a good idea to get cover for accidental damage from tenants. You will usually need to provide a signed rental agreement in order to get cover for tenants. It’s useful to know that a lot of insurance providers will also cover the cost of replacing locks if your keys are lost of stolen.
- Loss of rent – If you let out your holiday home on a regular basis then loss of rent is a very useful type of income to get. If you were unable to collect rent from your tenants for whatever reason, then it would ensure you were compensated until you could have them evicted.
- Public liability insurance – Public liability claims may not seem like too big of a risk when you have a holiday home but if for example a person were to be injured as a result of your property being unsafe then you could easily find yourself facing a claim. You choose exactly how much public liability insurance to have included in your policy.
If you want to save money on holiday home insurance then getting quotes from a lot of different providers is one of the best ways you can do this.
- Always inspect any properties before committing – If you’re looking to purchase a new holiday home then you should inspect any properties that you’re considering thoroughly before committing. In fact it’s a good idea to have them inspected by a professional since there might be problems with things like subsidence or faulty plumbing that you’re not aware of. If you’re purchasing property abroad then this guide is very helpful.
- Maintain your property regularly – Maintaining your property is one of the best ways you can avoid having to make a claim on your policy. What might start out as small problems can easily escalate into something more serious when the property is unoccupied and nobody is checking on it. If you have property overseas then it might not be practical for you to check on it yourself, in which case it’s a good idea to hire somebody or have a friend check on it for you.
- Make your property secure – You should also take any steps you can to make your property secure. Things like alarm systems, CCTV and security lighting can all help to reduce the chances of theft and vandalism.
- Get to know potential tenants – If you let your property out then it’s very important to meet with tenants to make sure they’re reliable and aren’t likely to cause you any problems. If it’s not practical to do this yourself then you should consider hiring a property manager you trust who can take care of this for you.
Saving money on holiday home insurance
- Secure your property – Making your property secure is not only useful for reducing the chances of having to make a claim but also cutting down the cost of your insurance. Insurance providers will always offer a better price for properties that are secure compared to those that are not.
- Limit cover options – Although building insurance is an absolute must when you have a holiday home, other types of cover may not be necessary. For example you might consider the likelihood of a public liability claim to be so low that you cannot justify paying for cover. Limiting cover options will certainly help to reduce the cost of the policy.
- Pay upfront – If you can pay for cover annually rather than monthly then you’ll be able to make a significant saving with most providers of holiday home insurance.
- Get a lot of quotes – You should always aim to get a lot of quotes when you’re looking for holiday home insurance. It will help you to avoid paying more for cover than you need to.
You can also get cover for accidental damage that might occur when you let your property out.
Get holiday home insurance quotes now
If you’re looking for holiday home insurance quotes from expert providers then you’re in the right place. Simply click the green button below to get started and you can have your quotes in a matter of minutes!