Find van insurance with motoring convictions a whole lot easier
You might be worried that you won’t be able to get van insurance, if you’ve been convicted of a crime. However, the panel of expert insurance providers can find tailored van insurance for convicted drivers.
- Van insurance cover available for various motoring offence convictions, including
- Drink driving (DR10)
- Drug driving (DG10)
- All types of cover available
- UK and European cover
- Flexible payment options
- Instant insurance documents available
HOW MUCH WILL MY INSURANCE COST?
Find out now with quotes from a panel of van insurance with convictions specialists!
Van Insurance for Drivers who have been Convicted Explained
If you’ve been convicted of a crime, you might be worried that you won’t be able to get convicted driver van insurance at a reasonable price. In fact, you might have even tried to get insurance from mainstream insurance providers and found that it’s either not affordable or they weren’t prepared to insure you. Thanks to Conviction Insure finding van insurance for convicted drivers at a reasonable price is possible.
You can get quotes from a panel of specialist providers now by clicking the green button on this page. To find out what types of cover are available, and to save money, keep reading.
- It’s important to declare any unspent convictions to van insurance providers since it could easily invalidate your policy if you don’t
- Finding cover can be a challenge with a conviction but there are specialist providers who can help you out
- You can typically expect to pay more when you have a conviction compared to somebody who does not
- You should find out whether your conviction is spent or unspent before seeking cover
Types of convictions
Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, a conviction becomes “spent” after a certain amount of time. This means it can effectively be ignored and that you’re no longer obligated to inform employers, insurance providers etc. The amount of time until a conviction becomes spent depends on the severity of the sentence you received for it. For example, a conviction that came with a prison sentence will remain unspent longer compared to a conviction that resulted in a fine or community service.
You can find out more about the exact specifics of spent and unspent convictions here.
Convicted driver van insurance FAQ
How much will convicted driver van insurance cost?
There are a few key factors that will impact the cost of a convicted driver van insurance policy. These are –
- Your age – Age is always a big factor when taking out insurance, whether it’s for a car or a van. This is because younger drivers are considered higher risk by insurance providers. Therefore if you’re under the age of 25 then you can expect to pay more for cover than somebody who’s older, all things being equal.
- The severity of your conviction – How serious your conviction is will also affect the cost of your van insurance. People with more serious convictions can expect to pay more for cover than those who have more minor convictions. Usually the severity of the punishment handed down will determine how serious your conviction is.
- The value of your van – The total value of your van will of course affect how much you pay for cover too. If you don’t want to pay a lot for cover then it’s usually better to go for a more modestly-priced van.
- The size of your van – The size of your van is another factor that is taken into account by insurance providers. Smaller, less powerful vans are usually cheaper to insure when compared to larger models.
- How secure your van is – The security of your van will also play a role in how much you pay for van insurance. If your van is equipped with security features such as an alarm and immobilizer then this will certainly help to keep costs down. Where your van is parked will also be taken into account. A securely locked garage would be ideal but even a driveway would be preferable to parking on the street.
What if I’ve been disqualified?
Banned drivers insurance is available if you have been disqualified from driving. However you must of course have a full valid driving licence before you’re able to take out cover. The amount of time you are disqualified for will determine how long it is until you’re able to appeal your ban. See the disqualified driver section on this page for more details.
Do cautions and warnings need to be declared?
No. Criminal convictions are classified as crimes that you have been found guilty of in court. This means that any cautions or warnings you have received from the policy do not count as convictions and therefore you don’t need to inform insurance providers of them.
How will my conviction affect other people on the policy?
Although you are able to add other people to a convicted driver van insurance policy, it doesn’t mean that the price will be affected positively. Any convictions that are held by people on the policy, whether they’re the main driver or not, will still affect the cost.
What if I use my van for work?
If you use your van for work then you still might be able to get cover but the exact type of cover you can have included in your policy will vary depending on the insurance provider. For example if you wanted to add goods in transit cover or public liability insurance then this might not always be possible with all providers if you have a conviction.
You can save money by getting cover from specialist providers of convicted driver van insurance
Types of cover
- Third party – third party insurance is a good option if you want to keep the cost of your policy down. It will provide enough cover for you to drive legally but will only pay out for third parties when you’re to blame for a collision
- Comprehensive – Comprehensive cover will provide protection for all types of collisions, even those you’re liable for, as well as fire and theft. Although comprehensive insurance costs more, it will provide the most protection for your own vehicle.
- Goods in transit – if you keep expensive tools or goods in your van then goods in transit cover is a must. It will cover the contents of your van for theft and damage.
- Public liability – if a member of the public is injured in some way by your business, you may face a public liability claim, so it’s a good idea to protect yourself against them.
Cheap van insurance for convicted drivers
How to keep the cost of your insurance down:
- Limit cover options– Limiting the amount of cover you get is a very easy way to cut the cost of your insurance. A third party policy without any extras will be the cheapest option. Although this doesn’t provide protection for your own vehicle, it will make it road legal.
- Pay upfront – Paying annually for cover might not seem too appealing since you’ll have to pay quite a lot more in one go. However doing this means you can avoid making monthly payments but more importantly make a good overall saving on the cost of the policy with most insurance providers.
- Make your van secure – Making your van more secure is one of the best ways to cut down the cost of your insurance. Most modern vans will come with an alarm as standard but you should take any other measures you can to make it secure too.
- Use a dash cam – Not all insurance providers will offer a discount for using a dash cam but some will since it can help to clear up who’s to blame for a collision.
- Limit the size of your van – If possible you should get a van that’s on the smaller size since they cost less to insure.
- Get a lot of quotes – getting multiple quotes from different providers is a great way to save money. It will give you a clearer idea of what the market has to offer and how much you should be paying for a policy
Once your conviction is spent you no longer have to declare it to insurance providers
Get quotes on Van Insurance for Convicted Drivers now
Getting quotes is incredibly easy. All you have to do is click the green button and you’ll have quotes from a panel of specialist providers in a matter of minutes.
Once you’ve provided the necessary details on the quote form, you’ll then have access to your quotes which you can compare easily. All you have to do is pick the best one!