Things to Consider With An Unoccupied Property

Things to Consider With An Unoccupied Property image

When you insure an unoccupied property is a must. Click the green button below to get quotes now

  • Cover for all risks
  • Quotes from specialist providers
  • Short and long term policies available
  • Pay by direct debit or card
  • Instant cover

If you have a property that’s unoccupied for extended periods of time then there are certain things to consider if you want to keep your property as safe as possible. It should come as no surprise that unoccupied properties are at significantly more risk when it comes to things like theft, vandalism and weather damage. Below is a guide to help you make your property safe and getting the right type of cover.

Precautions to take with an Unoccupied Property

  • Remove valuables – Removing valuables from a property is one of the best ways to deter thieves. Having expensive items, such as flatscreen TVs and other expensive electronics on display is certainly going to make your home more likely to be burgled.
  • Check doors and windows are locked – This one may seem obvious but you should ensure that all doors and windows are securely locked before leaving your property. Thieves tend to look for weaknesses so even on unlocked door or window could make the difference.
  • Use timers for lights – This is an excellent and inexpensive way to make your property appear occupied. By simply setting lights to come on in your property at certain times of the day, you can create the illusion of it being lived in and therefore deter would-be thieves and squatters.
  • Hire a housesitter – If you’re able to, then hiring a housesitter to look after your home while you’re away is one of the very best ways to keep it secure.


Getting the right type of cover for an unoccupied property is a must. Most home insurance policies will cover you for up to 30 days of the property being unoccupied but if your property is going to be unoccupied for longer than this then you need to get special cover. Unoccupied property insurance will cover your property for all the biggest risks, including structural damage, theft and vandalism. You can also get cover for your contents as part of an unoccupied property insurance policy.

Unoccupied property insurance is designed to be flexible and therefore doesn’t need to be taken out on a yearly basis like a regular home insurance policy. You can get cover for as long as you think you’ll need it and extend the policy as you require.

Getting unoccupied property insurance quotes

If you want to get unoccupied property insurance quotes from specialist providers then simply click the green button below. After providing a bit of required information you’ll then have access to your quotes. All you have to do is pick the one that you like the best.

Similar Posts